Brakes & Rotors
Brakes are your vehicle's most important safety feature. While it's essential to move when you hit the throttle, it's even more essential that you stop when you hit the brakes. Because you use your brakes every time you drive, they typically endure severe wear and tear. If they are not properly attended to and maintained, your brakes will not perform as expected, putting your safety in jeopardy. Here at Bustard Chrysler in Waterloo, our experienced service staff can take care of diagnosing your brakes, performing preventative maintenance, and full repairs, providing you with the peace of mind that your brake are in optimal condition.
Your vehicle's braking system may be comprised of front disc and rear drum brakes, or both front and rear disc brakes. The major components of disc brakes are:
- Brake pads
- Caliper and piston: As pressure increases while braking, the piston moves outward and caused the brake pad to come into contact with the rotor, which stops/slows the vehicle.
- The rotor: The rotors are attached to your wheels, and cause your vehicle to slow/stop when a brake pad comes into contact with them.
Schedule My Service Appointment
You can prolong the life and effectiveness of your brakes with these easy tips:
- Avoid constant braking by avoiding speeding and driving with the flow of traffic. This will decrease the stress on your brake pads and increase their life
- Drive on the highway when you can. Stop and go driving is much tougher on your brakes than highway driving
- Remove excess weight from your vehicle. This will reduce the strain on the braking system and increase its life and effectiveness
- Drive slower!
- Flush brake fluid according to your manufacturer's requirements
- Have regular brake inspections performed
- If you have your brakes regularly inspected and serviced, you can ensure your vehicle's brakes are in properly working order, preventing costly repairs down the line and most importantly ensuring your safety! At Bustard Chrysler Waterloo, our service staff can diagnose and repair all brake problems.
If your brakes exhibit any of the following warning signs, your vehicle may be in need of brake maintenance:
Hard brake pedal
Brakes require extreme pressure to work properly. When your brake feels tough and harder to press, it can indicate power brake problems, frozen calipers or wheel cylinders, restricted hydraulic lines, or damaged brake linings.
Vibration when braking
If your brake pedal, steering wheel, or whole vehicle pulsates or vibrates when you apply the brake, it could mean that you need to resurface the disc brake rotors. It could also signify a loose component or faulty steering mechanism.
Brakes should not make unnecessary noise. While some quiet noise is normal, excessive screeching, squealing, groaning, grinding, chattering, clattering, or banging are signs that your brakes need some attention.
Low or spongy brake pedal
If your brake pedal feels spongy or nearly touches the floorboard, or it your brake light comes on when you push the brake pedal, this could indicate that your brakes need to be adjusted.
Brake Warning Light
If your brake warning light is on or if you feel a significant drop in brake pressure, your brakes may be near failure and should be checked by a technician immediately.
If your vehicle is exhibiting any of the above issues, do not hesitate to contact the Bustard Chrysler Waterloo service department. Properly functioning brakes are vital to your safety, and so it is absolutely necessary to do regular maintenance in order to keep them in good working condition!\
Schedule My Service Appointment
Bustard Chrysler Waterloo is located in Waterloo, Ontario and also serves Kitchener, Cambridge, Guelph, Brantford, Hamilton, Elmira, Milton, Burlington, St. Catharines and all of Southwestern Ontario.